Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I pinned it & Did it {diy bulletin board}

While perusing pinterest, I saw these pretties and decided that I had to have one too! I think each one offered a slightly different tutorial, so what I did is kind of a conglomeration of what I got from each of those blogs. These and more are on my craft ideas pinboard.
I also had a little motivation to get my butt moving on this one. One of our most favorite blogs, Young House Love was having a pinterest link up! So last night, literally, I got to work in warp speed. Just click the image below to pop over and see their Pinterest project and like a million others that have linked up. After you're done reading here of course :)

{source}                                     {source}

{source}                   {source}

I started my project with a quick trip to WalMart to get the things that I didn't already have on had. I got the same kind of fabric square that I used for my memo board and tray, just in a bigger size. They are very handy.
Supplies not pictured:
spray adhesive

Check out that price tag people! That is my kind of budget!

I started by figuring out how much fabric I would actually need. I put my board in the corner, to save as much fabric as possible. I'm sure I can use it for something later.

Then I cut it around the board, leaving enough of an edge to wrap around to the back of the board.

I was all gung-ho to start spraying adhesive down and sticking my fabric on when I came to a screeching halt.  This thing was going to look horrible with lines all over my fabric. So I snagged the iron and while I was waiting for it to warm up, I completed another small task with some pinterest inspiration, but I'll post about that another day.

Much better with a wrinkle free fabric!

With my fabric looking crisp and pretty I was ready to stick my fabric to the board. I just used a scrapbooking spray adhesive, but any spray adhesive will work.

Next up was the tacks. I just placed them right next to the frame, as close as they could go without getting all weird.

I seriously considered measuring out the spaces in between each tack, but convinced myself that I was not going to be that obsessive. So I just started out in the corners, and went in the middle of each empty space until it was mostly covered with tacks. If that makes any sense? I think they ended up being spaced out pretty evenly.

I was going to just use a regular stapler to attach the fabric on the back. And then I realized that my stapler doesn't open up since its one of those smooth one touch kinds. So I just used a few extra tacks and it worked just fine. I just made sure to get the corners folded and pulled tight.  You could use a little spray adhesive on this side too, but I figured it would stay pretty well.

Then I popped that baby up on the wall to stare at all of its gloriousness :)

But it was looking a little lonely, so I moved my photo calendar (available in our etsy shop if you'd like to snag your own) from the kitchen wall to next to the bulletin board. 

I popped a temporary picture up for now, just so it didn't look so naked. I'm going to get some sewing pins to use when I actually start hanging things. I don't want giant holes left from push pins.

 And here it is in the hallway. The door at the end of the hall goes out of the apartment, to the right is the kitchen, and to the left is our pantry closet. This is our makeshift launching station. The hanging sorting system is from Target a year or two ago and holds our mail when it comes in or needs to go out and our keys hang on the bottom. The markers for our message board (see how I made that here) also live in one of the pockets. I feel like my new additions really make the space seem more "homey" and welcoming. Rather than just a useless apartment hallway. ps. I apologize for the bag of popcans, but if they aren't irritating where I can see them, they never make it to the store to be returned.

It makes me happy every time I walk by!

No comments:

Post a Comment